HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anne Stolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:36:20 -0700
For Glenn Foard,
You've gotten some good advice already but one correction:  Bandelier National
Monument is in New Mexico, not far from Santa Fe. Well worth a stop, but
perhaps out of your way?  If not, Santa Fe is a don't miss for lots of reasons.
Also, I heartily agree with the suggestion to visit Navajo National Monument in
Arizona.  The trip to Keet Seel can be done (or could be as of a year or two
ago) by Navajo pony as well as on foot.  I hiked it one way (in) and met the
pony group there and rode out, same day.  A great way to get a feel for the
country.  As to the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, I cannot agree with the
recommendation.  But Edge of Cedars, the museum in Blanding, is wonderful.  Be
sure to check out the reconstructed kiva there, which you can climb down in to.
Chaco Canyon is very much a must-see.  Fremont Indian State Park is also a good
recommendation, for the petroglyphs as well as interpretive center.  Now, with
all these good ideas, I hope you'll be able to camp some, as there are no
accommodations at Navajo Nat'l Mon. or Chaco.  Good luck!
Anne Stoll Univer. of La Verne