HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 17:52:00 -0600
Dan,

Your idea of the fragmentary tubes having been used as a connector (for
rubber tubing ... which might have been used in several other
applications around a household, in addition to medical or hygienic)
has a higher probability than being remnants of leech tubes.

Now that I think about it, I remember them still being used EVERYWHERE
for that purpose when I was a kid (a long time ago, yes, but not nearly
so long as Sarah's context).

And, I've personally broken a few glass tubing connectors, myself (very
easy to do working with the natural rubber tubing, before the advent of
the modern stuff that doesn't have the same penchant for hardening and
gluing itself to the glass over time), and not just the ones that came
in my chemistry kit!

However, I believe Carl's idea of being remnants of eyedroppers (whether
for dispensing acids in tests, or antiseptic at home) is probably closer
to reality (more probable because eyedroppers were more prevalent than
connectors and MUCH more prevalent than leech tubes) than either of our
(albeit still very good) ideas.

Regards,
Bob Skiles