HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:47:39 -0800
it strikes me as rather odd when we gripe about archaeological findings
being called "treasures" in mass media and, at the same time, when WE speak
with the public, we bang on about how "endangered" and "important" and
"valuable" archaeological findings are. I don't think we can have it both
ways, Geoff. They ARE treasures.

As you implied later in your message, the answer lies in archaeologists
being involved more actively in framing the ways these "treasures" are
discussed/advertised/etc. This means, in part, publishing FOR the public,
not just for ourselves, regardless of the sad reality that "public"
books/articles/web sites etc. aren't particularly valued in tenure
decisions, hiring decisions, etc. This may be changing (the last AAA and SHA
had "the public" as the major theme), but we're not there yet.

Carol McDavid
Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge
1406 Sul Ross, Houston, Texas, 77006, USA
(713) 523-2649
www.webarchaeology.com