HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2012 21:37:18 -0400
Harding,

Thanks for responding so quickly.  We did consider an ice house, but there was
no sign of micro stratigraphic build up which typically results from dragging
the ice to the icehouse followed by subsequent seasons of slow melt. It is also
at least 100 yards from the nearest house dating to pre 1740.  That would also
if it is not associated with the nearby house dating to circa 1740 to 1780.

I should note the floor is also uneven, suggesting the surface was not walked on
with any regularity and there were three small areas where it appeared that an
animal, possibly a groundhog or dare I say a wolf was digging into the
bottom/floor.  I like the suggestion that the green stone slabs surrounded the
entrance hole at the top.

Bill Liebeknecht