HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Daniel Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:57:48 +0000
Hello Todd: I have been monitoring the remediation of waste sites on Anti-Aircraft Artillery Batteries  from the 1950's on the Hanford Reserve in Central Washington. At these sites dozers created trenches where the refuse was burned and then covered by the dozers again. I have been a little surprised by how much actually survived the fire and subsequent weathering. Particularly surprised by the survival of paper(shooting scores and a paperback novel "The Last Race"), but also plastic and textiles. Batteries, lubricating oil, paint, solvents and other potentially toxic waste can also be encountered. These trenches were not always obviously different from other earthmoving features or demolition events on the site but could be identified by very thin scatters of refuse and a slightly flattened or mounded surface profile. I don't know how common this practice was on military sites as this has been my only experience with refuse disposal on a U.S. military base from this period. I hope this is helpful.
Dan Martin