HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:13:03 -0400
I remember studying Applied Anthropology at Buffalo, NY studying the
Westside Highway Proposal there. The class was partly about "Los Vicos," a
latifundia studied by Cornell University in Peru partly about the
introduction of "steel axes" in traditional societies. The idea was to study
one by actually buying one I think and studying how it could work better and
make recommendations to the people of Peru. About the same time or after
there resulted the "Day of the Condor" when agrarian reform came to Peru, at
least that's what the film shown showed. SUNY at Buffalo also taught Quechua
and the professor's TA (Dr. Patch's teaching assistant) was from there. The
Westside Highway was never built in Buffalo, NY, a subway constructed
"instead". It would have run through multi-cultural neighborhoods, whichever
option selected, local or overhead. Some archaeology was reported from
subway construction, a wooden "corduroy road" was found at one station
location. I think this conference is a great idea.

George Myers