HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:14:52 -0500
Dear List,

I am an undergraduate student currently identifying and trying to
accurrately date nail specimens from a site in SE Georgia. The site has
had many occupations from 1750 through the late 1800s. I have used
Fontana's Tale of a Nail, Nelson's Nail Chronology and Edwards' Historic
Louisiana Nails all as references to try and date the specimens of cut
nails. My problem is this, the dates that are given in Fontana and
Nelson are earlier than the dates in Edwards. Could this discrepency be
due to the fact that these nails were used earlier in Georgia than in
Louisiana or am I just very off on my dates for the specimens? Any
assistance and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Marilyn Cunningham
Georgia Southern University