HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 06:06:45 -0500
>Many archaeologists now seem to divide the metal detecting
>fraternity into two camps: the "responsible" detectorists,
>who inform museums/SMRs and so on about their finds, who
>work away from known sites and so on

It is pretty much required to turn in any excavated relics/coins in the UK
from what I understand. I could be wrong, but I believe there was a piece
of legislation passed last year re: the new "treasure trove" law. Indeed,
one of Jimmy Sierra's tours uncovered a pretty nice little site. They
called the archaeologists to come out and finish the excavation. Nice.

>and the "irresponsible" types who want to keep their finds secret,
>sell them on and won't take them anywhere near a museum
>because of their unfounded fear that the museum will take
>the material off the.

Again re the new law. I THINK it was last year...it MIGHT have been the
year before, a lady on a JS tour found a gold coin...I am not sure what
it's mintage or denomination was, but it was gold. She donated it to the
local museum, where it is now on display. JS seems to attract some great
people, and I am glad folks are working with him.

>My problem with a lot of detectorists is that they seem to
>be entirely artefact obsessed.

Agreed. Many are.

>I have met people who concentrate on collecting lead
>pilgrim's bottles, Roman brooches, Renaissance counting
>house tokens and so on. They often claim to be "rescuing
>history" but much of the time all they are doing is
>collecting objects.

But is there truly anything wrong with collecting? After all it is
something that has been going on for thousands of years. it isn't
unhealthy. But I do agree it becomes a problem when recovered items arn't
documented...expecially relics. But as far as "collecting", there's nothing
wrong with that IMVHO. As long as they are recording what they find, and
taking it, in the case of the UK to the coroner (or whoever does that
now...dunno if it's changed over the years) for recording, ID and possible
donation to a local museum or possibly even to one of the bigger museums.

I LOVE doing research. Lord knows why, but armed with a bottle of Advil I
can mount a week long research "trip" to the NA, Seville Archives, etc.
Where ever the recorded history is.

Take Care
Matt CIM