HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steve Boxley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 07:46:02 -0700
All,
   The general theme I am getting on my post is that non-degreed people
are fine for shovel work in the field, as long as they leave all the
"important" theory work for the Ivory-Towered degreed people.  Now don't
get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for the amount of time and effort
it takes to get your graduate degrees.  And I have even met a few PhD's
that I respect (Dan, you are in this category).  But to say that the
theory and other "thinking" parts of archaeology are beyond someone
without a degree is ludicrous.  I personally know someone with a third
grade education who has worked many years in archaeology, and can tell
you more about Native American culture and lifeways than anyone alive.
And though I personally find most theorists pedantic, I still know the
theories.  As to artifacts, I can not only tell you what something is, I
can tell you where, when, and by whom it was made, and how they lived and
worked (OK, maybe not all artifacts, but I am pretty good with ceramics.)
I have spent countless hours outside of work, reading and studying
everything archaeological I could get my hands on (Ask some of my
co-workers, I am always borrowing their books if I don't have them).
Seems this is alot like studying for a degree.
   Oh, by the way, I have co-authored reports, and written several
artifact and site studies.  So my point being (other than to fluff out my
feathers and toot my own horn, makes me feel better) if that something
needs to be done to make it easier for the non-degree holding
knowledgable person eligible to be an employed digger, not just another
site volunteer (which I have had to do in order to learn sometimes).
   Please don't anybody take this as any type of flame or personal
attack.

Steve Boxley
The Virginia Foundation for Archaeological Research