HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Vergil E. Noble" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:24:42 -0500
Bob: I recall hearing the same story (or perhaps a more colorful version of
it) from Quimby, too, which only slightly increases the probability of it
being true!  All stories shared at meetings have some basis in fact, of
course, and I can confirm that he was indeed a passenger on an airplane at
least once--so that much is certain. In fact, I might have been sitting
next to him.

                      "Robert L.
                      Schuyler"                To:       [log in to unmask]
                      <[log in to unmask]        cc:       (bcc: Vergil Noble/MWAC/NPS)
                      NN.EDU>                  Subject:  Re: definition of an 'archaeologist' ?
                      Sent by:
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      09/09/04 12:41 PM
                      AST
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

Ed:
         Wonderful Quimby story. I am printing it off to take to my first
class meeting today.

         And, yes, you are the only one on the list who remembers 1930, or
at least will admit it.

         All 900 of us hope to see you and Judy in York.
                                                         Bob Schuyler

At 11:04 AM 9/9/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I am reminded of the late George Quimby's story about striking up a
>conversation with a neighboring passenger on an airplane, when the
neighbor
>asked George what he did for a living, and George replied that he was an
>archaeologist.  "That's great," said the neighbor, "I'm an amateur
>archaeologist."  George then asked the man what he did, and he said he was
>gynecologist.  "What a coincidence," said George, "I'm an amateur
>gynecologist."
>
>For professions that are licensed by states (physicians, lawyers,
>hairdressers, fortune tellers, and the like) there are codified
educational,
>experiential, and other requirements that one must meet if she is to be
>called a doctor, lawyer, or whatever--making a clear distinction between
the
>professional and others.  Archaeologists are not so licensed by any state
>(so far as I know), so anyone can legally call himself an archaeologist.
>The same is true for historians, poets, astronomers, among many others.
>
>Because a person has an MD degree and a license to practice medicine does
>not guarantee that she will not misdiagnose your ailment or screw up a
>surgical operation.  I know from personal experience that many experienced
>nurses are more competent to perform some medical procedures than the
>doctors they assist, even though the nurses are not permitted to perform
the
>procedures.  The same is true of many persons who have acquired experience
>and competence, not by formal education, but by working on archaeological
>field or lab crews, and who sometimes are more competent than the PhD or
MA
>archaeologists for whom they work.  The difference is that doctors must be
>licensed by law in order to practice medicine and call themselves doctors,
>while anyone can legally call itself an archaeologist.
>
>On another matter, it is Chic (not Chick) Sale.  Am I the only one on this
>listserv who remembers Chic's movies ca. 1930?
>
>ebj

Robert L. Schuyler
University of Pennsylvania Museum
3260 South Street