HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul M Matchen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:09:04 -0400
Paul,

Thanks for your response. I would really like to read those publications
once they become available.   You cite Keith Matthews in reference to
the site in Chester.  Do you have his contact info by any chance?   I am
intrigued by the workshop in north Leicester and would like to hear more
about it.

You are correct in your assertion that most machine-made button blanks
are made from two directional cutting.  The fact, however, that blanks
were cut from two directions does not necessarily mean they were machine
(power)-made.  An article, also in Post-med. Arch (Klippel and Schroedl
1999)--mentioned in Mary Beaudry's email, documents one-hole bone disc
production at Brimstone Hill, St. Kitts, West Indies using a center bit
and a hand-held brace.  These were cut from two directions as well.  The
first face was cut until the center prong penetrated the bone slab. The
slab was turned over.  The center prong of the cutting bit was threaded
into the newly formed hole from the other face.  Cutting continued until
disc was free of the slab.

Paul M. Matchen
Archaeological Research Laboratory
Department of Anthropology