HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:39:50 -0700
That's my problem with hiring someone based only on their degree.  It seems
most universities arent teaching students any practical skills to use in
the CRM world of archy (where most of them will get their first job upon
graduating).  They still teach field school excavation digging with
trowels...i.e., S L O W paced.  This doesnt exactly prepare graduates for
real CRM excavation....nor all the other skills required...as Iain
mentions.  There should be a 'trade school' type of course work...to
produce better prepared CRM workers.  But even then...at least with
prehistoric materials...no 2 archys seem to 'see' things alike.  But more
historic artifact labs would be great!

Just my opinion.