HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 01:04:59 +0930
David Rotenstein wrote:

>This is an informal survey.  I am working on some aspects of the 19th
>century wool industry. . . >

David,

I'm writing from Australia, a country where wool is not exactly an
unfamiliar commodity, and where its 19th century archaeological
manifestations are well known.

However, your first two questions leave me a little puzzled because I don't
understand what you mean by "linkages" in that context - you mean
functional and economic links between industrial processes?  Would you like
to explain this further?

Question three is easy - sites associated with wool (in Australia):
fences, hedges, stone walls,  windbreaks, hurdles, shepherds' huts, sheep
dog kennels, road grids, stock routes, wells, wind pumps, artesian bores,
dams, watering troughs, mustering yards, dips, sprays, dingo fences, rabbit
fences, homesteads, stockmens' quarters, shearing sheds, shearers'
quarters, wool presses, loading ramps, sheep washes, wool scours, ram
studs, cranes, railway yards, sales yards, wool agents' offices, quarantine
stations, wharves, wool stores, woollen mills, garment factories,
showgrounds, truck stops, strike camps, some really bad "giant merino"
roadside sculpture and a couple of theme parks.  And a few more when I
think of them.

Peter Bell

Dr Peter Bell, Historical Research Pty Ltd
PO Box 3044, Rundle Mall  5000,  Australia
Phone/Fax:  (08) or (+618) 8338 2460
Mobile/Cellular:  (+61) 015 793 652
e-mail: [log in to unmask]