HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 07:52:09 PDT
David,

I have been working on a U.S. Army site for the past
14 years, but do not find the sort of pattern you
are interested in.  Fort Rosecrans was built in 1898
and most of the trash was formally moved to dump
that is now in a Navy "explosive arc" and not avail-
able for investigation.  The Army layers cover a
19th century shore whaling camp that was erected on
the ruins of a 18th century Spanish cannon battery.

It is the shore whaling station that contains data
of interest.  We are also about 30-feet from the water
and an easy throw for empty bottles.  Yet, we do find
some wine, ale, and champagne bottles in the midden.

In 1991, we were asked by the Navy to test about 1200
feet east on a spit of land known as Ballast Point.
The dig yielded 1860-1886 trash pits loaded with bottle
glass.  The report is not back yet, but I recall that
instead of dumping the refuse in the water the Asian
cook for the whalling company just filled the pit.
We have loads of wine and champagne glass, but none of
the ceramic ale bottles more common in the Anglo Whaler's
refuse pits.

Of course, I am not able to compare military versus
civlian consumption.  I expect this is going to be far
more complicated than you expect.  I would expect the
ethnicity and social status of the civilian would
bear heavily, as well as individual habits.

Ron May  c/o