HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:06:48 -0400
At 02:30 PM 9/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Please post this, thank you.
>Hello fellow Historical Archaeology people,
>        I am compling an annotated bibliography regarding African-American
>archaeology, specifcally the cultrual traditons carried over from Africa
>and mantained by slave in the southeastern United States.  If you know of
>any sites, publications, and/or information in general I would really
>appreciate it if you could let me know.  Thank you for your input and I
>have enjoyed reading your messages.
>Floyd Jones

Some references that might be of interest:

Crist, Thomas A.J., et al
1997  The First African Baptist Church Cemeteries:  African-American
Mortality and Trauma in Antebellim Philadelphia.

Burnston, Sharon
1997  The Invisible People:  The Cemetery at Catoctin Furnace.

Maish, Amy, Jerome C. Rose & Murray K. Marks
1997  Cedar Grove:  African-American History in Rural Arkansas.

Rathbun, Ted A. & Steven D. Smith
1997  Folly Island:  An African-American Union Brigade Cemetery in South
Carolina.

All 4 of these articles can be found in:

Poirier, David A. & Nicholas F. Bellantoni (eds)
1997  In Remembrance:  Archaeology and Death. Greenwood Publishing Group,
Westport,CT.

Also published by Greenwood (for more info: http://www.greenwood.com):

Miller, Randall M. & John David Smith (eds)
1997  Dictionary of Afro-American Slavery.  Rev. Ed.