HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Menard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:34:35 -0400
Sharon,

       As a longshot, you might try using the Munsell charts for gley in their s
oil
color charts.  If I remember correctly (my charts are not with me just now), the
run a range of greens that *might* describe your color range.  The browns in the
soil color charts will likely hit your brown-glass colors as well, though you ma
well be out of luck with other non-earthtone colors.  Munsell also markets a pla
nt
tissue color chart that, as one might imagine, runs a whole gamut of greens.  Th
sticky point with this solution is the pricetag: US$145.00.  I pulled the price
from
the 1997 Foresty Suppliers catalog, which tends to run a bit high on Munsell
products.
    You can also get the charts for gley separately from Forestry Suppliers, or
probably direct from Munsell.  Try browsing http://www.munsell.com.
    You might be able to devise another solution, but most archaeologists have (
and
use) the Munsell standards.
    Hope this helps.

hasta luego,
-jason
--
Jason Menard
Department of Social Sciences- Industrial Archaeology