HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:15:16 -0400
I can add a little to the comments from your earlier respondant on Bourbon
Whiskey Bitters.  Watson in his book on Bitters (cited in the other
response) shows pictures of Bourbon Whiskey Bitters and Greeley Bourbon
Whiskey Bitters.  The two bottles are very similar stylistically including
the unusual shape of the barrel bottle, the number of hoops on the barrels,
and the embossed lettering.  However, Ed Bartholomew in "100l Bitters
Bottles" also comments on the bottles embossed "Bourbon Whiskey Bitters" and
"Greeley's Bourbon Whiskey Bitters" and cautions the reader that the former
should not be confused with the latter.  Again, if you can locate a copy of
Ring and Ham's book on bitters or even Carlyn Ring's earlier book "For
Bitters Only," you may find some useful information.  (Sorry, I don't have
either one.)

Allen Vegotsky