HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:48:17 +0800
You are so right Iain

I set up my consulting firm towards the end of my Ph.D studies so I had more
experience in archaeological fieldwork and thesis writing then your average
honours graduate.

But no experience or teaching in running a business (insurances, tax,
business record keeping, occupational health & safety etc etc) marketing
myself as an archaeologist and especially not in costing jobs and addressing
job briefs.

I actually went through the New Enterprise Scheme course for new businesses
to learn all the things they did not teach me at UNI.

And none of that actually helps with writing CRM reports which is a very
different writing style to thesis writing or conference papers.  That I
picked up by working with heritage consultants from other disciplines. In
the eastern states I guess new archaeologists would pick that up by working
for the various archaeological consulting firms.

Gaye