HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kent Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:50:03 -0700
Smoke,

From some of the responses I've been getting, I'm leaning towards Italian immigrant railroad workers as the possible source of the oven at the site.  To be able to assign a structure or artifact to a particular ethnic group is very interesting and something that is usually difficult to do.  Perhaps this case will prove to be the exception.
Thanks,

Kent

Smoke <[log in to unmask]> wrote: When I worked on the Kootenai Forest, we had them along the Northern
Pacific railroad.  Local had called them "Chinese Ovens" for years.
Research had showed them to be along many of the railroad lines in the
western states.  They are known in the northern Mediterranean from
Spain, France, Italy, the Balkans, and Greece.

If anyone wants so see what one looks like, the Early Arkansas
Reenactors Association has built one at the Historic Site of Cadron
Settlement along the Arkansas River.  This one was built with a base
since so many of us are "getting on in years" and it is easier than
bending over.  We use it a LOT.  Mostly for Pizza but for bread, pies
and cobbler, too.

http://www.arkie.net/%7Eeara/Building%20a%20Wood%20Fired%20Oven.html

Smoke.

--
Smoke Pfeiffer

Absence of Evidence is NOT Evidence of Absence

Kent C. Taylor, M.A., RPA
Project Archaeologist
Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
Phone (248) 362-3038
Fax (248) 362-3038
E-Mail [log in to unmask]