HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:37:38 -0700
Josh and Hist Archers-  I was recently told by a local person who does
volunteer work in Israel, that volunteers on archeological excavations were
allowed to keep Roman coins discovered from excavation units.  About 15
years ago I was told that there was an exhibit of Mesopotamian materials at
the Smithsonian and that available in the gift shop were authentic
Mesopotamian ceramic sherds.  I have not personally verified either of these
reports and they may not be true.  For years the Museum of Northern Arizona
would dump "common" brownware sherds excavated "scientifically" in a big
pile behind the Museum Research Center, losing the recorded provenience once
they were counted.  This I personally observed.   There is a big difference
between the "standards" and "practice" of "legitimate" museums.  There is
apparently no prohibition in the US from any of us hanging out a shingle and
saying we are a "museum."  That is how the Museum of Northern Arizona (and
many other museums) got started in the early 20th Century.  I am currently
trying to advise an incipient "Community Museum" that has been donated some
scientifically collected materials from private lands.  The community
leaders trying to start the museum are suspicious that the corporate donor
would not have donated the material if it had any "real [read market]
value."  Trying to reach the curious public about the value of "research
collections" as opposed to pecuniary value of "museum collections" can be
very disheartening, particularly when "legitimate" museums don't seem clear
on these matters.
About 10 years ago there was a business in one of the shopping centers in
Las Vegas (Nevada of course) called "The Museum of Historical Documents."
Everything was for sale from newspapers of the JFK assassination to first
editions of 45 rpm vinyl Elvis recordings.  How is the public supposed to
know the difference if we as archeologists can't help them understand.  -
Mark