HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Jeannie K. Yang" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:22:19 -0700
Hello again:

I've been asked to post the following message:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

>commercial archaeologists <snip>

That's a good one! Others may be convinced by these postmodern
rationalizations but I still maintain that there *is* a difference between
the person who excavates artifacts for the purpose of selling them and an
archaeologist. Tell it like it is: treasure salvors are in it for the cash
value that they can realize from the venture.

I'm stuck in outmoded, pre-Ronald Reagan era thinking, so I still cling to
the idea that some things (like the knowledge to be gained from
archaeological sites) belong to the public at large, not just to
individuals who have the money to grab the goodies and run. If these guys
want excitement, let them hop a plane to Las Vegas.

Adrian Praetzellis