HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:41:45 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (73 lines)
 Tom, 
 Definition of terms is always a good thing and thank you for asking me to clarify temporary vs. permanent. Section camps could be in operation for up to approximately 80 years in some cases, and in the case of Scales, occupation was around 40 years. Logging camps do exhibit a great deal of variety depending on whether they are camps associated with actual felling, cross-loading, maintenance, base-camps, etc. The sophistication and duration of habitation seem to increase over time as logging became more capitalized, intensive, and large scale. However, Great Lakes logging did not exhibit many of the hallmarks of heavy industrial logging that were to develop later in the Pacific Northwest for example. I personally have more experience with the highly industrialized logging of the 1920s to 1950s in the west. In these situations, you often find lumber companies with their own railroads and section camps! However, in almost every case that I can think of, logging camps are very !
 much more temporary than section camps with few lasting beyond 10 years. Once again, thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify my lack of specificity! :-)

Stathi

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
 Doctoral Student
 Department of Anthropology/096
 University of Nevada, Reno
 Reno, NV 89557
 (775) 323-5730   
 -----Original Message-----
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 5:16 AM
 Subject: Re: Railroad/logging Camps

Here's an interesting point: What's your definition of temporary? Railroad logging camps, at least in the western Great Lakes, could have a life span of 5 years, give or take. This is based on informant interviews (conducted in 1970s-early 1980s)/ethnohistoric accounts/company documents. This was considered long term, at least by accounts I've seen. The remaining characteristics (size, layout, etc.) that you mention I agree with. I'm not sure how these characteristics would compare with railway logging camps in other regions, however. 

Tom 

At 03:17 AM 7/22/2006 -0400, you wrote: 
 >A section camp will typically consist of a section foreman's house, 
 >bunkhouse, car shed, tool shed and any other additional outbuildings >deemed necessary 
 >for maintenance work. These structures, especially the section foreman's 
 >house would have been associated with a localized landscape similar to a >farmstead 
 >as there was typically domestic production associated. Logging camps, 
 >depending on the size would have had a more temporary imprint on the >landscape and 
 >usually would have served a larger population than the maximum of 
 >approximately eight individuals that would have been in a section camp >during the busy 
 >season (it could fluctuate greatly based on demand). Logging camps would >have 
 >evidence of loading apparatus (platforms, A frames, Spar poles, etc), at >least 
 >a passing siding on the railroad (section camps often did not as there was no 
 >reason for them), and other infrastructural features to service active >logging 
 >and loading. Section camps on the other hand are small yet permanent with 
 >none of these extra features. I hope this very brief overview is of some >aid 
 >and it is nice to be talking about a subject so near and dear to my heart on 
 >histarch! :-) 
 > 
 >Stathi 
 > 
 > 
 > 
 >______________________________________________________ 
 > 
 >Efstathios I. Pappas, MS 
 >Doctoral Student 
 >Department of Anthropology/096 
 >University of Nevada, Reno 
 >Reno, NV 89557 
 >(775) 323-5730 

W. Thomas Langhorne, Jr., Ph.D. [log in to unmask] 
 Pre-Health Professions Advisor (phone) 607-777-6305 
 Adjunct Assistant Professor-Anthropology (fax) 607-777-2721 
 Binghamton University 
 P.O. Box 6000 
 Binghamton, NY 13902-6000 
 http://prehealth.binghamton.edu/ 

This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected 
 by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the sole use 
 of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you 
 are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of 
 this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If 
 you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the 
 sender by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail. 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2