HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Efstathios I. Pappas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:41:45 -0400
 Tom,
 Definition of terms is always a good thing and thank you for asking me to clarify temporary vs. permanent. Section camps could be in operation for up to approximately 80 years in some cases, and in the case of Scales, occupation was around 40 years. Logging camps do exhibit a great deal of variety depending on whether they are camps associated with actual felling, cross-loading, maintenance, base-camps, etc. The sophistication and duration of habitation seem to increase over time as logging became more capitalized, intensive, and large scale. However, Great Lakes logging did not exhibit many of the hallmarks of heavy industrial logging that were to develop later in the Pacific Northwest for example. I personally have more experience with the highly industrialized logging of the 1920s to 1950s in the west. In these situations, you often find lumber companies with their own railroads and section camps! However, in almost every case that I can think of, logging camps are very !
 much more temporary than section camps with few lasting beyond 10 years. Once again, thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify my lack of specificity! :-)

 Stathi

 Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
 Doctoral Student
 Department of Anthropology/096