HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 12:47:13 -0500
I worked several years ago on a plantation site in Chesterfield Virginia
which, at the end of the 19th century, installed an acetylene gas lighting
system. The apparatus, as I understand, had some method of bring calcium
carbide and water together at a measured rate--the age-old method for
making acetylene--within a large bell-type compressor. It pumed the gas
into the house wherre it lit, among other things, a very impressive
chandelier.

Dan Mouer
Virginia Commonwealth University
http://saturn.vcu.edu/~dmouer/homepage.htm