HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Trammel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 1995 15:45:51 EDT
Mike Polk said:

 >> I have followed the thread on the graduate programs in the South.  I find it
curious that some do not consider MA degreed people to be "professionals".  <<

I too have been following the thread on graduate programs in the South, and I
just reread all the postings.   I would like to remind everyone that NO ONE said
that MA degreed people were not professionals.

The original posting was by Michael Nassaney and it mentioned the lack of PhD
programs in the South.  There was a response to Michael saying :  >>We are
turning out degreed professionals down here.<<  I replied by asking were the
Ph.D. programs were.  I did not mean to imply that M.A. holders were not
professionals (especially since I do not have a PhD myself).  I was just
returning the thread to the original theme of PhD programs.  I'm sorry if I did
not make this clear enough in my original posting.   The point was never about
the qualifications of working archaeologists and their standings as
professionals.  The point was about the possible effect of having few PhD level
Anthropology/Archaeology departments in the region.

        When Michael Nassaney first brought this subject up, he said:
>>Just looking to rustle some feathers (and get us thinking about how present
social relations influence the practice of investigating the past<<

Well, some feathers were ruffled (and Michael you are being very quiet through
this storm).

Finally, I found it very unsettling that many of us chose to react very
defensively (and perhaps a bit insecurely?) about personal and professional
standings, instead of choosing to pick up on the thread about how present social
relations influence the practice of investigating the past.  The latter topic
was what drew me into the conversation and I'd wish more subscribers would
address this topic.

Linda Derry
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
Alabama Historical Commission