HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Neal Hitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:04:34 -0400
I have seen a square cistern made from stone in a state park managers house (all still extant) built in 1935 by the CCC. Of interest, the cistern is on the opposite corner from the kitchen and is not near the bath. One downspout fed directly into the cistern. The cistern was outside of the basement foundation but shared a wall. An iron pipe came through the wall and fed the water into a pressure tank, which was then piped through the house.

Two years ago we partially excavated a round cistern sitting next to the foundation at U. S. Grant's boyhood home (built 1824). We found a picture showing a led pipe coming out of the cistern and up the exterior wall into what was a ca1920 kitchen. The pipe was still evident inside the cistern.

Donald Linebaugh at the University of Kentucky was working on a paper detailing a machine that produced gas for lighting houses during the mid 19th century. The unit was often kept in a brick pit outside of the house if I remember correctly. I think he presented this paper at an SHA conference but I don't know if he published it.

I do agree that if it is a cistern it will most likely have an iron or lead pipe coming out of it at some point.

Neal Hitch
Ohio Historical Society