HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 16:45:38 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
rinceton.edu writes:
> They aren't always walls.  They can also be ditches covered with widely
> spaced sticks or poles that cows won't cross, but which a wagon or car can.
>  They are often used in lieu of gates.
>
> Tom W

I've never heard the term 'haha' or 'haha walls' applied to these things.

In the UK they are called 'cattle grids', and I believe that term is
also used in the USA, along with the term 'Texas gate'.

I have only ever heard 'haha' used to refer to the ditch, or ditch-and-
retaining-wall combination which allows someone in a house, or just outside
to view the land to the horizion without the interruption of hedge or wall,
(so it all appears _your_ land, and without the danger of having sheep or
cattle on the lawn.  The ditch (on the cattle's side) has a gentle slope,
so animals can get out and won't fall in.  The human's side usually has
a brick retaining wall, not visible from the human side.

Talking of things falling in and getting out: cattle grid designs here
can incorporate little ramps so the hedgehogs can climb out.

--
Reynolds