HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
basedowm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:24:33 -0400
Dear Dave,

I am aware of the global distribution of similar practices. Other the the
intermittent prehistoric European examples I mentioned in earlier postings, I
also know of the practice from Mesopotamia and, in a somewhat different form
(hippo jawbones used apotropaically as doorstops), Ancient Egypt. This is one
of the problems when tracking down a cultural origin -- precedence or the mere
existence of a comparable example is never really enough. Kon Tiki-type
situations can result if we're not careful to contextualize - i.e., bring into
play more than one category of information, which I hope to be able to do.

Maureen Basedow
Visiting Asst. Professor
UNC-Wilmington