HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Perdue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:07:12 -0400
Neal Hitch wrote:

> Yes, by all means post the literature on the do-it-yourself market. Please

No problem.  I was concerned that this might be straying
off-topic, but since you asked...     :)

Steven M. Gelber, "Do-It-Yourself:  Constructing, Repairing
and Maintaining Domestic Masculinity, _American Quarterly_
49, No. 1 (1997) 66-112.

Carolyn M. Goldstein, _Do It Yourself:  Home Improvement in
Twentieth-Century America_ (New York, NY:  Princeton
Architectural Press, 1998).

Dee Lynn McEntire, "Remodeling Our Lives:  A Search for
Values in the Art, Folklore, and Ideology of Home
Improvement, Bloomington, Indiana (1979-1998)," diss.,
Indiana University, 1998.  DA9834613.

The article by Gelber is a good read (IMO) and treats the
general history of DIY going back to the late 19th century
(as I recall).  I haven't seen the other two items; the last
is a Folklore dissertation and perhaps a bit late for the
time period you're interested in.  You might also glean some
context from Pamela H. Simpson's book, _Cheap, Quick, and
Easy:  Imitative Architectural Materials, 1870-1930_
(Knoxville, TN:  University of Tennessee Press, 1999).  She
discusses lineoleum, ornamental sheet metal, and includes a
chapter on "Stone for the Masses:  Concrete Block in the
Early Twentieth Century"; the masonry side of DIY home
building.

Regards,

Marty Perdue