HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. Faunce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 06:41:34 -0700
I agree with Iain that having a background in History as well as
Anthropology is very important for a Historical Archaeologist.  I have known
several individuals working in Histroical Archaeology that have little or no
knowledge of historical research.  While an Anthropology background is
needed, so is a Historical background.

I have degrees in both and I am finishing my doctorate in History/Historical
Archaeology here at the University of Idaho.  The joint program is designed
to give the student a background and an understanding of both fields.  We
need more interaction between these and other departments in order to make
our students well reounded, which makes them better Historical
Archaeologists.  Hopefully more programs of this type will be started.

Kenneth Faunce
University of Idaho