HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Davis, Daniel (KYTC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:04:10 +0000
Unless the discussion is made relevant by examining how politics can alter or shape the course of archaeological research and investigations. An excellent example might be "Gordon Willey and American Archaeology: Contemporary Perspectives". Chapter 4 seems of interest, considering how the current political focus on reducing government debt means less money is available for archaeological research, both in national parks and via state agencies that receive federal sources of funding. This may translate into fewer sites being excavated, and in some (Section 106) cases, less sites being considered as eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. Smaller government translates into smaller investigations.

Aside from broad generalities such as I mentioned, I am curious if there are examples of current historic archaeological research altered in some way by the political atmosphere of the last few years that anyone can provide? Here I am thinking of the absence or reduction of cultural evolutionary models in American archaeology during the somewhat elongated period (1917 to mid-1950s) of the Red Scare in America.

Daniel B. Davis
Archaeologist Coordinator
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Division of Environmental Analysis