HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ned heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 06:32:04 -0400
Scott Wieczorek wrote:

>   I was wondering if anyone had information (in form of citation,
>reference, recommendation, etc...) regarding Revolutionary period
>saltworks along the Atlantic coast.  I am looking for any accounts,
>descriptions, etc... regarding a frequently overlooked and
>relatively short-lived maritime industry.

The saltworks in Delaware have been pretty well documented. From an
archaeological point of view, I doubt there would be much remaining;
Rehoboth Beach is there now. There were salt pans on the Virginia
ocean coast around the capes; I would assume they were a fairly
common feature, since salt was essential in more areas of food
preparation than it is today.
--
* Word of warning:     *