HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:49:52 -0400
I seem to recall hearing about this issue previously, although I can't
recall where I first heard it. This article I found on Google may help,
though:
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/news/nation/9301578.htm

What's interesting to note about this dispute is the issue of who "owns" the
past. Dr. Walker is a descendant of the founder of the town, and seems to
have more than academic issues with Paul Shackel. Perhaps Dr. Walker feels
threatened by any interpretation of the past of New Philadelphia other than
hers. Her rhetoric certainly implies that.  She's pretty close to slander
though, in my opinion. I think Paul Shackel seems to be handling it well in
the articles I've read, although perhaps it could be stressed in these
point-counterpoint style newspaper articles that Dr. Walker really doesn't
have the authority to back up her claims that the archaeological record
can't speak to issues of race relations. Then again, perhaps Paul Shackel
already has a strategy to deal with Dr. Walker's accusations.

Andrew R. Sewell, MS, RPA
Principal Investigator
Historic/Industrial Archaeology
Hardlines Design Company