HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:31:03 -0700
April 17, 2013

Hello All,

In my dear old Chaffers MARKS & MONOGRAMS on European and Oriental Pottery and Porcelain edited by Frederick Litchfield, 14th revised edition, page 699, is pictured an impressed mark, consisting of 9 tiny triangles arranged in a circle.

Confusingly, it is described as "especially upon wares made by E. Mayer" but identified in the caption as by "Joseph Mayer & Co." and further described as "probably used as an ornament by other makers."

Does anyone have further insights on this little mark?  I'm working on stuff from the 1820s.

Many thanks,
S. Walter