HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rob Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 12:39:52 -0400

I think we all have "little time" for such sweeping statements that condemn
people in a category of employment.  Is there any one who doesn't know an
academic archaeologist who has coasted for years on the lectures he/she
prepared in their youth?  Or a contractor who has allowed commercial
interests to over-ride heritage concerns?  That does not mean that all
people in those areas are without merit.  Likewise, there are numerous
archaeologists in federal, state and provincial offices in US and Canada
who do innovative and exciting work, and who actively promote the
development of archaeology within their jurisdiction.  Bashing the civil
service is something that should be left for simplistic journalists (oops,
I feel a sweeping statement creeping in).

Rob Ferguson
Project Archaeologist, Parks Canada