HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kerry Ogata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 11:24:36 -0500
Dan Mouer writes:

[about USC--the Gamecocks, not the Trojans]

>Now that once was a Ph. D. program, but not any more.

Hmmmn.  I don't think it was ever a Ph.D. program.  It used to be a lot
more CRM based, I think.  We had a lot of meetings last year about getting
a PhD, but the University of South Carolina refuses to spend any money on
anthropology--they seem to think it's useless or something.  We have a
building that's falling apart, assistantships for grad students that you
can't even pay rent with, and so on.  I guess we're lucky they haven't
actually cut the whole department!  Unfortunately, I don't see a PhD coming
anytime soon.

>William and Mary's program starts up next year.

Is this going to be a PhD in anthropology, or in historical archaeology?
Could you post more info about this?  I think it would be of interest to
the list...

>Let me know'n ah'll pull out mah white trash
>cookbook and scramble up a mess o' brains n'eggs

As a native Southerner myself (I grew up in Alabama and Mississippi) I tend
to prefer catfish, butter peas, fried okra, black eyed peas, cornbread,
lemon ice-box pie, and ice tea!  :)

Kerry
PS.  My favorite memory of my time in Columbia, SC is a guy at the post
office looking at my driver's license and saying, "You're from Virginia,
huh.  That's Yankee land."  I thought about mentioning Robert E. Lee and
Richmond, but decided not to...  :)