HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:55:52 -0700
Geoff-In Federal Acquisition vernacular these have been called an
"indefinite quantities contract" or a "basic ordering agreement." Such
contracts can be very useful in reducing agency employment rolls where
there is a recurring need for a specific kind of task (Contract for
archeological surveys instead of hiring a nother agency employee).
Taken to extreme, agency staff can be reduced to only a contract
officer's representative or contract inspector.  This type of
contracting is increasingly used where there is a standard procedure and
known cost for the product delivered (such as acres or miles inventoried
for archeological materials).  Usually the agency guarantees a minimum
amount of work in the life of the contract, and is required to pay that
minimum amount of work whether any work ("task orders")are issued or
not.  Therefore the agency loses that minimum amount if they don't order
any work. This happens sometimes when politicians decide that they are
not going to fund certain projects.  Often where there is a lot of work
anticipated the agency will issue several contracts to different
contractors concurrently under the same solicitation.  Federal land
managing agencies use this "on call" contracting more and more
frequently.  My experience is that it can work quite well for inventory,
but is more difficult to specify for data recovery (archeological
excavations)where there are a lot more uncontrollable factors (what type
of sites, how complex are they, what parts can be avoided).  Hope this
helps. -Mark
Mark Henderson
Ely, Nevada