HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marsha King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:38:35 -0500
I am currently working to finish cataloging and analyzing materials
recovered from the John & Mary Jane Ritchie House (occupied from ca.
1856-1990) in Topeka, KS.  I have come across an item that I have not
been able to identify, but hope that someone on the list might be able to
help.

It is made of a heavy metal alloy that has been gilded.  It is circular,
shaped roughly like a toy top, with a 1.0 inch diameter.  A 1/4 inch
diameter hollow tube runs through the circular portion and appears to
have been broken off on both ends.  The top surface of the circular
portion is convex and has the words "RICHARD  HUDNUT     NY" in raised
capital letters.  In less prominent lettering on the concave underside are
the following words:  "I. M. MFG. Co."  &  "JULY  7TH  _____4".

So far I have been unable to find any information on Hudnut or "I. M. Mfg.
Co" in our library.  Any information you could provide, on list or off, would
be appreciated.  Thank you for your assistance.

Marsha K. King
Special Projects Archeologist
Kansas State Historical Society
6425 SW 6th Ave.