HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 12:46:26 -0400

In a message dated 10/6/2006 8:04:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

As a  master blacksmith once told me, "It seems to me that
archaeologists make a  lot of unwarranted assumptions." We have all had
the experience of being  dead sure of something that we later find to
have been dead wrong!

Blacksmiths too can be dead wrong. I am reminded that during the period of
change from true wrought iron to steel the blacksmiths suffered astounding
failure rates in welding the metals. By analogy, anthropologists,
archaeologists, and historians suffer a high failure rate until they accumulate  and retain
sufficient training to understand what their eyes and minds  record.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.