HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kenneth Gauck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 17:09:50 CDT
This seems to be directed at the list.  I think it was sent to me by mistake.
Ken
I felt really sorry for all the people who got involved in this
"controversy" about some guy who was an obnoxious poster.  I am not an
archeologist and I don't know what this guy did and that's irrelevant.
I'm willing to take people's word that he was a ninny.

I have participated in a number of lists and I have learned a hard
lesson I would like to impart to people: never react AT ALL to ad hominem
(sp?) attacks.  I know this seems like a dissatisfying solution.  One
wants to clear one's name in front of the whole list.  But the hard and
fast rule is to restrict such discussion to private e-mail.

I signed on to your list for rather capricious reasons, just checking it
out, and I was assaulted with countless messages reading 'Re: Lying and
Censorship.' and the like.  My sage, unsolicited advice is that every
single one of those messages was a big mistake.  They waste time, detract
from the subject at hand, clutter people's mailboxes and make you all look
like a bunch of idiots.  I say that in the full and abiding belief that
you are *not* idiots.  All the more reason for you not to appear that way!

Every list has its Gollums, it's trouble makers, etc.  And ultimately the
more of a stink they cause, the happier they are in some strange way.

There should be a newsgroup for this sort of thing.
Alt.talk.list-wreckers or something.

End of sermon

Cheers!

Don Morgan