HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
aaron e russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 09:50:10 -0500
I am in the process of preparing to conduct exploratory excavations at the
purported site of an 18th-century tannery at Historic Bethabara in
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and am looking for any information that I
can find on the archeology of tannery sites.  Any information that you can
provide concerning the existence of reports, publications, etc. on this
type of site would be very much appreciated. In addition, while I have
managed to drum up several historical sources on the typical colonial
tanning processes, I am also particularly interested in regional or
other variations in this industry (especially if there are any notable
variations in the hide-tanning process commonly associated with Germans
and/or Eastern Europeans that I should know about).

Thank you,
Aaron Russell
Wake Forest University Archeology Laboratories