HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 19 May 2012 12:48:30 -0400
As Is so often the case we see here the results of failure to connect beyond
the legislative and political levels.

1. You cant rely on politicos.

2. Legislation can always be un funded or deleted.

3. Political elites (Historical societies in particular) are often in it for
social reasons only most of which are destructive and discriminatory and
divisive and more than not un professional techically-they are dangerous
    and if they are not vetted and certified as knowledgeable they are worse
than nothing in the long run although they appear to be the only game in
town. Are you dealing with possible criminals who just happen to give you
some money and support. (the president of my local historical society is a
pot hunter) IMHO is to leave them be just take them off the boards and
decision making units and construct parallel vetted and certified
organizaions.

Awareness of our cultural resources historical, material, archeological
architectural is not something that is an option-. The only way to improve
things is to make it an essential part of the lifeway.
It needs to look more like the environmental movement then the local
exclusive elitist club which is at least my local historical society and a
few others I have worked with. No thinking person would ever join such an
organization let alone work with them.

Additionally- it can not be esoteric. We need to produce more explanations
attached to our fieldwork. Pure CRM presence/absence research designs are
insufficient.  We also need outside of the box products which relate people
to artifacts in unusual ways.

We need to do something drastically different.

So if your program looks just like it did last year next year- fear the axe.

Our resources and our work need to be as important as the air we breathe to
the people we serve. We need to get the politicos out of the system- no more
gubernatorial appointments and reform the support societies.
It can be done- it must look totally different.

Remember - also - you are competing for funds with people who are out of
work in huge numbers and hungry. Think of their justifiable priorities and
when you explain what you do and why make sure it is coming across as more
relevant and necessary than say.....life itself.

yes there are good people out there who happen to be politicos and in
societies- trouble is not enough of them.

Conrad