HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
DAVID ORR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2010 08:26:47 -0500
As an old Pompeianist I must say that you should have seen what Pompeii has
looked like in the past, especially the sixties. Ironically, they have made
some progress..limiting visitors to certain key areas, etc.  But they have a
long way to go in stabilizing what arguably is one of the oldest
continuously excavated sites in the world. They have, I believe , severely
limited digging in the top layers (volcanic deposits down to 79 tpq) and
have excavated the pre-79 deposits instead.Its a great site but it needs
lots of help.   David G. Orr F.A.A.R. 1971-73.