HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy Fein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 11:33:40 -0700
The type of architecture for houses called "Dutch Colonial" to my knowledge
always includes a pair of benches on either side of the front door which
helped distinguish them from other "colonial" types of architecture.
Albany, New York has this type of housing throughout the city I'm assuming
from the original Dutch settler influence.  Any historical research into
Albany, New York would probably offer much information about these types of
benches beside the front door of homes as the city, as well as New York
City,  was settled originally almost entirely by the Dutch.

Nancy