HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mike LaRonge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:00:46 -0600
Histarchers,

        I am currently working with a small piece of fabric found attached to the
anterior surface of a child's tibia.  The fabric and tibia are part of a
surface collection of remains and mortuary materials trenched through
during a local construction project here in the Upper Peninsula of
Michigan.  The cemetery itself appears to have been in use from
c.1848-1864, although no concrete evidence as to inception and end use has
come to light.
        Basically, I am looking for articles on fabrics to compare it to.  I think
it is a small fragment of a pair of wool trousers, but I am not ruling out
some sort of coffin lining.  Thanks in adavance.

Yours,

Michael LaRonge
Masters Candidate
Industrial Archaeology Program