HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lockhart, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:54:26 -0700
The Bottle Research Group is currently looking at the state seals on
milk bottles. These were embossed guarantees that each milk bottle held
the proper measurement of liquid (quart, pint, etc.). As far as we now
know, only three states (Massachusetts, Maine, and Rhode Island)
required the seals, and each state had a different system to identify
the factory that made the milk bottles. For example, Massachusetts used
initials, like BB for the Berney-Bond Glass Co. Maine apparently used
the number "48" for the same company, probably due to the BB48
manufacturer's mark used by Berney-Bond.

My reasons for bringing this up are twofold. First, we are seeking
information. We have a great deal of knowledge about the assachusetts
system, a little information about Maine, and virtually nothing about
Rhode Island. All help will be appreciated and cited.

Second, can any of you recommend a regional journal in New England or
nearby that might be interested in an article about the milk bottle
seals? We assume that this would not be of national interest, although
such milk bottles might appear anywhere. We even found one last summer
in the California Parks milk bottle collection in Sacramento.

As an afterthought, Minnesota may have used a similar system.
Collectors have remarked that the triangles embossed with 7 / minn on
milk bottle heels were a Minnesota state code.  Thus far, however, we
have seen nothing but speculation about this idea.

Please send me any feedback on any of the above.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Lockhart
Associate Professor of Sociology