HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Boyer, Jeffrey, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 11:18:18 -0600
Not that it has any direct bearing on this discussion of shrinking ancestors, but Carol's remark about name transcriptions reminded me of the story of a woman I once worked with. Her surname was Ellis. Her patrilineal ancestors' surname was NOT Ellis. They immigrated from some eastern European country (I don't know which anymore, and they've changed identities in the mean time anyway) and, upon arriving at Ellis Island, attempted to give the recorder their actual surname, which was apparently long and riddled with dipthongs and other oddities (to the ear of the recorder). After several unsuccessful attempts to figure out the name, the recorder evidently gave up and assigned them a surname based on their location at the moment -- Ellis Island.
Fortunately, the descendents had maintained knowledge of the old-country family surname, and my colleague was able to return to the town from which her ancestors immigrated and meet family members still using the "correct" family name.
Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico
mail: P.O. Box 2087, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87504
physical: 407 Galisteo Street, Suite B-100, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87501
tel: 505.827.6387          fax: 505.827.3904
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
"It might look a bit messy now, but just you come back in 500 years time."  --Terry Pratchett