HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:57:21 -0400
This bottle is listed in two books identifying it as a soda (That's why it
wasn't in Fike's book.) that came with a Hutchinson stopper.  There is a
small picture of a complete bottle in Sellari and Sellari's "The Illustrated
Price Guide of Antique Bottles", Country Beautiful Publishers, Waukesha,
Wisconsin, 1975, p. 146.  The Hutchinson stopper was patented on April 8,
1879.  The Crown stopper, patented in 1892 and other changes in technology
as well as higher standards of sanitation in the food industry led to the
demise of the Hutchinson stopper.  According to the Sellaris, the Hutchinson
stoppers were no longer made after about 1912.  Hope this is helpful.

Allen Vegotsky