HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:19:58 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (68 lines)
Check

Elfwendahl, Magnus 1995. Postmedieval Pottery in Sweden. Some Notes on Local Red Earthenwares. Lund Archaeological Review 1.

I've done some work on pottery in southern Scandinavia (Sweden/Denmark). Not on production though, more about use and meaning. And only in Swedish (sorry...). But I guess some of the pictures might be useful. Contact me if you want references.

Christina Rosén
Archaeologist
National Heritage Board, Sweden

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/24/06 9:54  >>>
Tim -- Check publications by Brigitta Hulthen, Ole Stilborg, etc at Lund in addition to these.  Charlie Kolb  

Lindahl, Anders, and Stilborg, Ole (eds.).  (1995).  The Aim of Laboratory Analyses of Ceramics in Archaeology, April 7-9, 1995 in Lund, Sweden: In Honour of Brigitta Hulthén ass. prof. emer.  Konferenser 34.  Kungl. Vitterhets Historie och Antikvitets Akademien, Stockholm.

Buko, A.  (1995)  Clays for ancient pottery production: Some current  problems of analysis.  In Lindahl, A., and Stilborg, O. (eds.), The Aim of Laboratory Analyses of Ceramics in Archaeology,  Konferenser 34,  Kungl. Vitterhets Historie och Antikvitets Akademien, Stockholm, pp. 29-36.

Cleary, R. M.  (1995).  Irish Later Bronze Age pottery: A preliminary technological assessment.  In Lindahl, A., and Stilborg, O. (eds.), The Aim of Laboratory Analyses of Ceramics in Archaeology,  Konferenser 34,  Kungl. Vitterhets Historie och Antikvitets Akademien, Stockholm, pp., 77-90.

MacSween, A.  (1995).  Fabric analysis of coarse ware assemblages: Examples from three sites in the Northern Isles of Scotland.  In Lindahl, A., and Stilborg, O. (eds.), The Aim of Laboratory Analyses of Ceramics in Archaeology,  Konferenser 34,  Kungl. Vitterhets Historie och Antikvitets Akademien, Stockholm, pp. 127-138.

Stilborg, O.  (1995).  Ceramological analysis: an archaeological enigma. Statistically-based archaeometric analyses in a humanistic world.  In Lindahl, A., and Stilborg, O. (eds.), The Aim of Laboratory Analyses of Ceramics in Archaeology,  Konferenser 34,  Kungl. Vitterhets Historie och Antikvitets Akademien, Stockholm, pp. 139-146. 

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Timothy Scarlett
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask] 
Subject: Danish and Scandinavia

Hello All,
I'm collecting references for a project with a student this term.   
We're looking for studies of earthenware production in Denmark and Scandinavia  (18th and 19th century in particular).  Here are the sources I already have from a search of the HISTARCH archive, from an old post by Ned Heite:

Lynggaard, Finn

1972   Jydepotter og Ildgrave. J. Fr. Clausen, Kobenhavn.

This book, in Danish with English translation, describes the manufacture of "black" pottery in Jutland during the preset century.

Steensberg, Axel

1940   Hand-made pottery in Jutland. Antiquity 14:148-153.

The plates with this article illustrate the manufacture techniques and the pot forms current in Jutland before World War II. The illustrated pots include several imitations of iron pots, quite similar to at least one mid-seventeenth-century Virginia example.

Madsen, H. J.

1983 An Introduction to Danish medieval ceramics.  In Peter Davey and Richard Hodges, eds. Ceramics and Trade.  University of Sheffield.

Other references I've already identified:

Jutland Pottery. Ceramics monthly. 39, no. 8, (October 1991): 32 (This may be about a modern art pottery...)

Any further references would be very helpful.  We are trying to identify shape, form, and

Cheers,
Tim

Timothy Scarlett
Assistant Professor of Archaeology
Department of Social Sciences
Michigan Technological University
[log in to unmask] 
(906)487-2359 (office)
(906)487-2468 (fax)
------------------------

ATOM RSS1 RSS2