HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2007 13:24:03 -0500
Buttons to Birmingham like Coal to Newcastle according to Charles Dickens:

http://books.google.com/books?id=LTMFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA463&dq=Wallis+Birmingham+buttons#PPA463,M1

Brief account of range and quantity of buttons being manufactured in
Birmingham (1835):

"... Some idea may be formed of the extent of the button trade, when I say,
that upwards of six hundred millions of button shanks are made in Birmingham
annually."

http://books.google.com/books?id=eF8JAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA17&dq=%22An+History+of+Birmingham%22+Hutton#PPA171,M1

BirminghamRButtons:

http://books.google.com/books?id=AtIvAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA88&vq=soho&dq=buttons+Boulton&as_brr=1