HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 09:28:03 -0400
I agree. What I did because I was asked to by William and Mary, was to take
the Advanced History section of the GRE to apply there. They at the time had
two "Historical Archaeology" scholarships (partial) and required ca. 1978,
that the applicant take the History GRE. I myself was pleasantly surprised
that I had retained much from Columbia University's Prof. Judd's, "European
History" textbook from Newfield High School. My problem was that my
transcript would show an "A" in the "History of Mexico" but nothing else in
History, but that is my obsession not what I "should" learn. I imagine this
is a problem in education, that people know about one thing but want to learn
more of the "fringes" and "borders" of a field. Anthropology can be out there
on the "barricades" of history I have found, from Nepal to Timor, from Mexico
to Brazil.

IMHO
George Myers, Jr.